Monday, September 19, 2011

Inlaws and Outlaws

We just recently had a weekend visit from my inlaws. The live pretty far away, so we only get to see them a few times a year. I have some friends who are happy to see their inlaws even less than that, but I like my inlaws. It is probably part of my stubborness, to be honest. 'Inlaw' is almost a dirty word in our society. Thanks to television we all have preconcieved notions of the dreaded relationship with our spouse's family. I hate preconcieved notions like that, so when I got married I was determined to prove the stereotype wrong, because, dear friends, it takes two to make a relationship. Kindness goes a long way in creating the foundation for a relationship, even though it may take years to build the foundation!

I was reading in the book of Ruth this morning. What an amazing woman Ruth was. Many books and sermons have been written about her and her faithfulness. But what about Naomi? What kind of amazing mother-in-law must she have been to have inspired such devotion in both her daughters-in-law? I truly want to know this, because I have two children and daily I pray for the people they will eventually marry. I pray that they are God fearing and strong of character, and I pray that they will let me love them like I love my own children. Because right there in the Bible it says that when a man and woman marry, two shall become one. Some women think that no one will be good enough for their children to marry. We I say pooh on that! If your child loves someone, then YOU BE the example. Don't expect your child's spouse to understand how your family works, and don't expect your child to explain it. Treat them with the respect you would show a new friend, instead of how you treat your own child (as if they were still 10 years old and in need of a good lecture). Remember- this person will contribute to half the DNA your grandchild will carry, and will contribute much to the type of person your grandchild will become. Don't wait until the last moment to make these decisions. Decide now the kind of inlaw you want to be. It is never too late to start over, and it is never too early to make resolutions. And whenever you feel discouraged, read the book of Ruth and ask yourself if your child's spouse would ever feel that way about you, and if you answer 'no', then ask yourself 'why not?'.

No comments:

Post a Comment